Private Sewing Lesson
About this Workshop
"If I just knew how to sew, I could..." Have these words every come out of your mouth? Here's your opportunity to turn them around. Catylator's skilled and experienced seamstress Mariam will get you started in sewing and put you on a path toward making all sorts of textile-based household projects, such as curtains, pillows, stuffed toys, kitchen decor, and clothing.
Our private classes are flexible and tailorable ('cuse the pun), but at a minimum, in the first class you will learn:
- How a sewing machine works
- Setting up, threading and cleaning the machine
- How to prepare fabric for sewing
- Stitch types and when to use them
- Preparing a pattern
- Cutting fabric
- Starting practicing with a small project
- Starting sewing skills
- We can start you on the path to making your own basic clothing repairs instead of going to a tailor
- Guidance on how to practice your new skills
- The confidence to say "Now that I know how to sew, I can..."
Prereqs and Preparation
This is a beginner level class. No prior skills needed, open to ages 12 and up. Ages 6+ are welcome when accompanied to class by a paying adult.